New users apparently all bots?

Ideas for a new tool? Something you'd like to see in a pre-existing tool? Think something could use a better interface? Talk about it here!
Skinner
Prospector

New users apparently all bots?

Post by Skinner » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Since Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 am we've had 70 new users register, and based on their names I think they're all bots. Can we add a "not a robot" check (like a CAPTCHA or something) to the registration page when creating a new account, to prevent bots from creating a million fake accounts?

Also, is there a way to delete fake/duplicate/unnecessary accounts?

Brian
49er

Re: New users apparently all bots?

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:13 pm

There is an account creation captcha :( I also deleted a bunch of these on Saturday. Let me see if we can try higher complexity captchas.

It looks like the new version did something to make the captcha less complex than it was previously.

Brian
49er

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I've switched back to the Q&A plugin, and have added some required fields - we'll have to see if that has an impact.

Brian
49er

Post by Brian » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 pm

This article details the issue - the vast majority of the normal countermeasures out there no longer work. Q&A can work, until and unless someone adds the answers to their bot - we'll hope we avoid that for a long time. Especially since we're not a particularly lucrative board. If we continue to see this level of abuse, we'll look at making activation require staff intervention.