Downtimes

News

Downtimes

Postby Justin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 pm

So, players have asked my department if they can send in downtimes.

Why yes! Yes you can.

Downtimes are handled in the following manner:

Each player gets four downtime actions that they can split between a linked character-pair that they have played at a Dark Prospects event. Just describe what you're doing for each downtime action.

Downtimes can be submitted via this form right here - and if for any reason the form is down, you can e-mail us at the following:

[email protected]

While there's a lot you can do, and a lot of what you can do is broader in scope than uptime actions, we expect you to keep it on a reasonable scale. Direct combat in Quarry Creek is not a viable downtime option, though if your character wants to go hunting for something outside of town that can probably be worked out.

Downtimes are due three weeks before the next game; responses should be out within a week and a half.

UPDATE!

Some notes on Downtimes!

Downtimes are now due three weeks prior to game instead of two.

If you are trying to accomplish something with Downtimes, explaining how you do it or what resources you're trying to use will help the STs greatly! You don't have to submit an essay, but details make a difference!

You should not expect Renown for things done in Downtimes, unless supplemented by some excellent stuff in Uptime. Acquiring the attention of tale spirits is valid, but you should tell stories (or at least hand them written versions) during Uptime.

Downtimes can make acquiring permanent things like rituals, fetishes or power-teachers happen more easily, but uptime efforts with the STs are generally still required, except in very low-level cases. You should not submit a downtime doing a thing with the expectation that you will get the thing you're after in the next downtime response!
Listen to them long enough, and all stories are ghost stories.
Justin
Storyteller
Storyteller

Re: Downtimes

Postby Ginger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 am

If there is a cohesive "what you can and cannot do in downtime" thread, I wasn't able to locate it, so I'm asking a bunch of questions all in one place:

- Can we craft mundane items (guns, potions, locks) with downtime action(s)?
- Can we craft magical items (talens, fetishes, cast rituals) with downtime action(s)?
- Can we learn mundane skills from others with downtime action(s)?
- Can we learn supernatural powers from others with downtime action(s)?
- Can we practice a ritual (earn more dots) with downtime action(s)?
-- Does having cast the ritual in uptime make a difference in the answer to the above?
Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Postby Justin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Ginger wrote:If there is a cohesive "what you can and cannot do in downtime" thread, I wasn't able to locate it, so I'm asking a bunch of questions all in one place:

- Can we craft mundane items (guns, potions, locks) with downtime action(s)?

This does not require a downtime! Putting in downtimes would not affect the cost of crafting, nor the crafting limit.

Ginger wrote:- Can we craft magical items (talens, fetishes, cast rituals) with downtime action(s)?

You cannot.

Ginger wrote:- Can we learn mundane skills from others with downtime action(s)?

Yes! From both PCs and NPCs alike. Both the teacher and the student need to turn in downtimes for this.

Ginger wrote:- Can we learn supernatural powers from others with downtime action(s)?

Currently, PCs can teach other PCs supernatural powers during downtimes, (although this may affect Reknown for some shifters!). NPCs will not be teaching supernatural powers during downtimes - but finding a teacher for something is a possibility during downtimes.

Ginger wrote:- Can we practice a ritual (earn more dots) with downtime action(s)?
-- Does having cast the ritual in uptime make a difference in the answer to the above?

No - you can currently learn one dot of a ritual between games, practice does not accelerate this process.

Other things you cannot do:
    Kill another player's character.
    In-town fighting.

Things you totally can do:
    Look for NPC teachers for the upcoming game
    Purchase mundane items at non-crafting costs
    Contact NPCs for other reasons
    Try to track down Prefabricated items/rituals via the ItemMaker system
    Work with STs/Rules to create completely custom Rituals
    Research or investigate information on things from uptime
    Find other methods of interacting with story elements
Justin
Storyteller
Storyteller

Postby BeckyW » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm

You don't need to put in a downtime to purchase mundane items at non-crafting costs. It's a thing you can do at check in if you have the money to pay the non-craft purchase price anyway.
BeckyW
Pioneer

Postby BeckyW » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:49 pm

You said you can't craft magical items, but then you said you can create custom rituals and track down item maker rituals and items. Are these things that you gain during downtime actions, or things that you have tracked down to come into play the next game?
BeckyW
Pioneer

Postby PendragonPoe » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Do we have to use downtimes to accomplish a goal? Or are we able to use it as a way of "canonizing" something that we want to have happened to our character between games?
PendragonPoe

Postby Justin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:42 am

I would need an example of what you had in mind to be able to answer this, I think.
Justin
Storyteller
Storyteller

Postby Justin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Updated with the following notes:

Downtimes are now due three weeks prior to game instead of two.

If you are trying to accomplish something with Downtimes, explaining how you do it or what resources you're trying to use will help the STs greatly! You don't have to submit an essay, but details make a difference!

You should not expect Renown for things done in Downtimes, unless supplemented by some excellent stuff in Uptime. Acquiring the attention of tale spirits is valid, but you should tell stories (or at least hand them written versions) during Uptime.

Downtimes can make acquiring permanent things like rituals, fetishes or power-teachers happen more easily, but uptime efforts with the STs are generally still required, except in very low-level cases. You should not submit a downtime doing a thing with the expectation that you will get the thing you're after in the next downtime response!

---

Also, the method of submitting downtimes will change in the near future - watch this space for future updates!
Justin
Storyteller
Storyteller

Postby BeckyW » Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 pm

So to clarify, you can create rituals, but not other magicky things? You can't cast a ritual even if you know it.

For things you want to accomplish or canonize, I would think talking to Justin to find out on a case by case basis would be the best course of action. He can tell you if a downtime is required or if the thing you want to canonize is a thing that can happen.
BeckyW
Pioneer

Postby Justin » Fri May 20, 2016 12:40 pm

To clarify: you can work on developing rituals! This will make acquiring them in uptime easier, but with a few exceptions will not preclude the need to do something in uptime.
In general, you do not have to do downtimes for any reason, and you will not be punished for not doing them - it's an opt-in system, not an opt-out.
Justin
Storyteller
Storyteller

Postby Pohizzzle » Sun May 22, 2016 10:19 pm

I want to note that in this game I have had VERY good experiences with the downtime system and I have seen other players also have positive experiences. I have seen downtime affect players' personal plots and I have seen game-wide stories develop or be influenced by player downtime. If you've been disenchanted by other LARPs that have not been responsive to your downtime actions I HIGHLY recommend you try it out in Dark Prospects, :-)
Pohizzzle
Pioneer

Return to Game News