proposed: NECROMANCY: Create Necromantic Fetish (3)

proposed: NECROMANCY: Create Necromantic Fetish (3)

Postby Rydath » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 am

Create Necromatic Fetish (3)
Prerequisites: Necromancy, Rituals equal to the level of the fetish you wish to create
Base Cost: 1 Oboli, or else 1 mortal, wraith, or vampire in the 'dying' state
Cost per level of fetish (shared among participants): 5 blood, -1 Maximum Will until End of Game
Level: 3
Purpose: Infuse a soul into a Fetish.
Expected Cast time: 8 minutes
Requires: intended fetish object, chalk or salt, an oboli or dying creature, index cards

Description:
Prepare your necromantic focus.
This ritual may be cast alone, or with any number of participants, who may pay any part of the ritual cost. Show the ritual to each participant. All participants must be able to spend energy as blood.

Using chalk or salt, Draw a large circle. Therein, place the oboli, or else move the dying mortal, wraith, or vampire to be within the bounds of the circle. If a target in the 'dying' state is being used as the component, use the call ‘pause all timers’ on them. For the remainder of the ritual, they will not bleed to death, and cannot spend energy to heal themselves.

Then, the object to be transformed into a fetish is also placed in the circle. The following incantation is spoken.
“Crimson rivers like Lethe,
The lost soul drowned in pleasure,
This drunken essence bends like clay,
To sculpt into our treasure.”

The ritualist and any participants must write on an index card, first their name, then the number of willpower and blood they shall spend. Each participant then pantomimes cutting themselves and bleeding into the circle, places their card inside the circle, and spends the pools they each wrote. Once all participants have put a card in the circle, a final incantation is spoken:

“In blood the tool is plastered,
Our wills shape the guise,
Now let’s reap this poor bastard,
And get us our prize.”

At the completion of the ritual, pantomime ‘reaping’ the oboli or body, which is infused into the item and disappears. Take the oboli or player of the body, cards, and the fetish item to ST camp. If the total amount of blood and willpower spent is enough, the fetish will be created. Place a card with the item specifications in the check-out box. If not enough pools are spent, the ST may determine if a backlash occurs, and/or to reduce or change the parameters of the fetish.

Finally, if you sacrificed a dying creature, you will have likely lost path unless your path is wyrm tainted.

You will receive the tag for the fetish at check-in of the next game. Once the fetish tag has been received, it does not become active until the ritualist or any participants have spent a total number of willpower equal to the level of the fetish and attuned it.
Rydath
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: proposed: VAMPIRE: Create Necromantic Fetish (3)

Postby Ginger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 am

Currently, Ritemaster of the Sabbat gives you Thaum rituals, not Necro. (which is super weird, but that's a discussion for another time.)
Pedantic point: can wraiths really be dying? aren't they already dead?
Are assistants and participants the same thing? if so, pick a term. if not, define the difference.
Does the ritual *require* assistants, or can it be cast alone?
Does the dying critter count as a participant and/or assistant?

"At the completion of the ritual, pantomime ‘reaping’ the oboli or body, which is infused into the item and disappears. Take the oboli or player of the body, cards, and the fetish item to ST camp. If the amount of blood and willpower spent is enough, the fetish will be created. Place a card with the item specifications in the check-out box. If not enough pools are spent, the ST may determine if a backlash occurs, and/or to reduce or change the parameters of the fetish. "
I think if you can avoid *requiring* ST involvement that would be better. Perhaps only if not enough pool spent, go to ST; otherwise just submit checkout card ? (the player of dead critter should of course go to ST camp)

"You will receive the tag for the fetish at check-in of the next game. When you receive the tag, it does not become active until you have spent a total number of willpower equal to the level of the fetish and attune it."
If the caster hands the tag to another character instead of attuning it themselves, does the other character need to spend WP?
Does the caster have to attune the fetish, before it can be handed off, so the WP is spent?
Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: proposed: VAMPIRE: Create Necromantic Fetish

Postby Rydath » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I appreciate the suggestions. I've edited to reflect them.

Huh, yeah, the ritemaster thing is strange, but I think closer to cannon. Necro only!

Regarding ST camp, you need to either turn in the oboli, which is a unique prop, or verify how/why a character has died. I feel that STs should know when a character dies by a players hand, even if no characters possibly could. I agree that I would generally leave STs to do their thing, but I feel like even a quick 'heads up, this is what's going on' is helpful in this instance.
Rydath
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: proposed: NECROMANCY: Create Necromantic Fetish (3)

Postby Skinner » Mon May 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Bumping this thread! I think this ritual sounds cool and thematic to Necromancy, if a little expensive. Are any other edits needed before approval?
Skinner
Prospector

Return to Requests (Rituals)