Chris begging for ST applications

News

Chris begging for ST applications

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Players of Dark Prospects,

I want to make it clear how much we need additional Storytellers. A good number of storytellers is 5. A reasonable number of storytellers is 4. A barely acceptable number of storytellers is 3. A desperately low and burnout inducing number of storytellers is 2.

We have been running at burnout levels of storytellers for years, and it taking a toll. Even if everyone expressing interest in storytelling ends up on the team we will have 2 full time and 2 part time STs (and part time st is still a position that hasn’t been tested.)

If we get three full time storytellers and additional help (either a 4th full time at, or at least one part time ST or consistent guest plot submissions) then we will be at sustainable levels of staff.

And here is the ultimatum:
If we have not reached sustainable staff levels by the middle of season 5, I will take a break for (at minimum) the second half of season 5.

If we do reach sustainable levels I think I will be good to go for a nice long time taking just the breaks built into a team that size (aka 1 or 2 games off a season. Ps, that would means that if we get enough staff you can st AND play)

So please, please, if you have ever considered joining the storyteller team, put in an application. Even of you only storytell for a year, we need you.

Desperately,

Chris
Chris
Pioneer

Re: Chris begging for ST applications

Postby Ralph » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 pm

To add to the above:

The XO team wants to put our support behind the ST team when it comes to need to get more ST's onboard. We cannot place the burden of maintaining the game on 1-2 people forever. If we don't have planned support for the ST team (3-5 STs) for Season 5 as of game 4.6, we are intending to begin the process of decommissioning the game. Now, this doesn't mean it will be an immediate end to Dark Prospects, but it does mean we'll be planning to end the game after Season 5.

We love you guys, and we love our STs, and we love the world we're all part of. We want to keep the game running in perpetuity, but we cannot place the weight of an entire world on the shoulders of only two awesome people forever.

If we dissolve the game, we want to let you know we aren't planning to keep the Dark Prospects money that's left over in our accounts. Donations will be sold (including the trailer) and funds will be evenly split among active players and staff. In other words, continuing to donate will not mean your donations will go to waste.
Ralph
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

How much out-of-game time do you usually spend as STs planning the next game's content? Just out of curiosity. I'm assuming remote communication would be okay? I live pretty far from Boulder Creek.

Also (and this may be a stupid question) would it be possible to have, say, one or two games that are almost or completely player-run? The game seems to be well established enough that players might be able to do their own thing for a game or two, even if it means sacrificing Saturday night combat. Or maybe just have combat, without any larger story lines. I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics of this would work. If the players are fond of the game (and I think they are), they should be willing to give ST's a break. As a mortal, I am willing to run more veil-safe events, like parties, theatricals, and dances. It'll give people something to do.

I wouldn't mind trying out for at least a part-time ST. I like writing stories. Only problem is that I know almost nothing about the game mechanics. I've done only a year of LARPing and I've always played mortals. Would there still be some way for me to help out?
""The Man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, & breeds reptiles of the mind." - William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
Jennifer
Prospector

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I’m not speaking as an ST, but as someone who has seen these games grow. You can absolutely be helpful. STs are superheroes (bear with me here... this is going somewhere). One of the most important things to know about any superhero team is that every member has something different to bring to the table. You have tacticians, bricks, speedsters, blasters, and all kinda of other teammates. Even Aquaman who, being totally honest, seems super situational (but I digress). The ST super team needs people good in different areas of gameplay, and someone with strong mortal plot ideas is definitely a team role that someone could offer. While I don’t think it’s necessary to have an ST dedicated to a character type, STs with strong ideas to support a character type are super awesome (as long as the entire team isn’t focusing in the same place, which I don’t think is a problem)
Brian
Game Lead / Executive Officer
Game Lead / Executive Officer

Postby JohnW » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm pretty invested in Kai as a character, at the moment, but I'd be willing to come on as a part time ST, if that's what's called for to keep game running. If I need to list a superpower, I'm a pretty good lore monkey.
JohnW

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm

How much out-of-game time do you usually spend as STs planning the next game's content? Just out of curiosity. I'm assuming remote communication would be okay? I live pretty far from Boulder Creek.

We do a lot of our work on our own, and brainstorm over chat. Actual ST meetings have historically been 1-2 meetings between each game in San Jose for 4-8 hours, depending on availability and energy. We could absolutely find ways to accommodate remote members.

Also (and this may be a stupid question) would it be possible to have, say, one or two games that are almost or completely player-run? The game seems to be well established enough that players might be able to do their own thing for a game or two, even if it means sacrificing Saturday night combat. Or maybe just have combat, without any larger story lines. I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics of this would work. If the players are fond of the game (and I think they are), they should be willing to give ST's a break. As a mortal, I am willing to run more veil-safe events, like parties, theatricals, and dances. It'll give people something to do.

In my opinion (which is only one view) We could consider player run events and/or nearly noncombat/nearly nonplot events. I would want these to be a freely made choice, rather than as a stopgap. Aka if we do that it should be because its a cool idea, and not to give st a break.

I wouldn't mind trying out for at least a part-time ST. I like writing stories. Only problem is that I know almost nothing about the game mechanics. I've done only a year of LARPing and I've always played mortals. Would there still be some way for me to help out?

ABSOLUTELY. The rest of a team can help with mechanics, and you can definitely write to your strengths and genre knowledge. I, for example, know werewolf, spirit and vampire best. I understand vampire but dont write it well. You may have noticed Justin shouldering 99% of the non gnosis plot for the last year.
Chris
Pioneer

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm pretty invested in Kai as a character, at the moment, but I'd be willing to come on as a part time ST, if that's what's called for to keep game running. If I need to list a superpower, I'm a pretty good lore monkey.

Please do fill out the application. My pipe dream would be to have a whole pile of people try storytelling. The more people who try it the more people we can find who enjoy storytelling at prospects, and the better chance of finding a group who work well together.

With a big enough team we could do a rotation so everyone gets a chance to play. For example with 5 full time storytellers everyone could take 2 games off a season and we would still have 3+ storytellers per game. Any combination that allows breaks, and either 3st or 2st and 2ptst each game would be such a nice change.
Chris
Pioneer

Postby Eryn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 am

I recently took a leadership role in a PC faction, and as such dedicating even half of my games on a regular basis isn't very feasible. However, I would love, love, love to know if you guys have an idea of events you don't have much planned for/feel overwhelmed by on the calendar. If I know what events you could use a little extra help on, I am happy to write up a guest ST plot that can span from one to three games. (Most likely Wraith oriented, let's be honest, it's my jam.)
Eryn
Prospector

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 am

Eryn wrote:I recently took a leadership role in a PC faction, and as such dedicating even half of my games on a regular basis isn't very feasible. However, I would love, love, love to know if you guys have an idea of events you don't have much planned for/feel overwhelmed by on the calendar. If I know what events you could use a little extra help on, I am happy to write up a guest ST plot that can span from one to three games. (Most likely Wraith oriented, let's be honest, it's my jam.)

We are also happy to take guest plots that dont require you present at st camp. For example the food plot recently was a bunch of character briefings and background that the active storytellers cast and handed out.

Feel free to send us things like that and we can bank them for slow games.
Chris
Pioneer

Postby MaxisG » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 am

Is there a link for this "application" or do we just send it as a message to the ST's?

I am willing to give it a try, and I have other questions and comments about this but I'm gonna keep it for the application.
MaxisG
Prospector

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 am

MaxisG wrote:Is there a link for this "application" or do we just send it as a message to the ST's?

I am willing to give it a try, and I have other questions and comments about this but I'm gonna keep it for the application.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3173
Chris
Pioneer

Postby Festindesang » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 pm

I would be interested in being an ST at some point, but I can't make the time commitment necessary to do the job justice. When Maia is a little older, it might be more feasible. Sorry.
Festindesang
Prospector

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:55 pm

For those that have submitted applications, my apologies for lack of response for far.

They didnt go into a black hole. Your messages are appreciated, and you will get a response “soon”
Chris
Pioneer

Return to Game News