Playtest 5.01 Q/A

The Rules Clarifications forum is for "does this work X or Y?" posts.
Brian
49er

Playtest 5.01 Q/A

Post by Brian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am

Ask your questions here.

MaxisG
Pioneer

Re: Playtest 5.01 Q/A

Post by MaxisG » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Questions (So far, there will be more as I have more time to go over the updates):

For the purposes of the playtest there are abilities like "Has a Knack" and "Chimerical Creation" that allow you to once a game create something. Will these be affected by the 5x item creation rule?
IE: For the playtest I create a character with the "Has a Knack" ability which allows me to get 3 tags at creation costs regardless of whether I have the ability to create them. Can I use this Has a Knack ability to instead get 15 tags?
Has a Knack
During Check-in, you may purchase up to 3 items for only their base creation cost. If you use this ability to create an item which requires a recipe that you don’t possess, it costs double base money cost to create instead.

Non-playtest questions:

Changeling:

The Boggans flaw is that they gain a Disbeleif if they do not help a person in need. Is there a limit or definition to the "in need" part as this can get problematic without a limit on it. For example:

Someone attacks a townsfolk, it's obvious that this townsfolk is now "in need" and thus you rush to help him out against this bad guy. Then more townsfolk join in this fight to bring down the bad guys making the battle out to 5 townsfolk (and you) against that 1 bad guy. This now makes it to some extend that the townsfolk no longer need your help, but obviously the bad guy who is being attacked by 5 townsfolk needs help. Does this mean that you now have to help the guy who attacked the townsfolk or gain 1 Disbelief? It seems like maybe there should at least be a limit of having to help someone who isn't hostile.

Animal Form:
Specifically for the Pookuh it says that you must attempt to not be visible while using this power, does this mean you cannot be viewed while your changing form...or that the moment your viewed you are no longer in Animal Form?

Justin
Dreamer

Post by Justin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:41 pm

MaxisG wrote: The Boggans flaw is that they gain a Disbeleif if they do not help a person in need. Is there a limit or definition to the "in need" part as this can get problematic without a limit on it. For example:

Someone attacks a townsfolk, it's obvious that this townsfolk is now "in need" and thus you rush to help him out against this bad guy. Then more townsfolk join in this fight to bring down the bad guys making the battle out to 5 townsfolk (and you) against that 1 bad guy. This now makes it to some extend that the townsfolk no longer need your help, but obviously the bad guy who is being attacked by 5 townsfolk needs help. Does this mean that you now have to help the guy who attacked the townsfolk or gain 1 Disbelief? It seems like maybe there should at least be a limit of having to help someone who isn't hostile.
Player hat while I'm speaking here, and mostly to see if my understanding of this jives with rules team's:

As is super-common with the fair folk, your definition of 'help' can be pretty flexible if you're so inclined.

It might be that the kind of help that bad guy needs is a swift kick in the rear, some time in a jail cell, or to get reborn and start his life all over. Or if you're not going quite that dark - even speaking out against his death, providing a single bit of healing or a once-shouted "Behind you!", or agreeing to see him well-treated if he surrenders is a solid piece of help that fulfills the Boggan obligation.

It might also be that he's doing fine in a big fight, clearly doesn't need your help, and alas he's well out of eyesight or earshot by the time he's in serious trouble.

Original Changeling rulebooks negate this obligation where a sworn enemy is concerned, but with some creative thinking you can probably avoid the Disbelief hit while not actually joining forces with the person who attacked the town.
Listen to them long enough, and all stories are ghost stories.

MaxisG
Pioneer

Post by MaxisG » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Another question that I remembered,

Changelings and iron:

I'm guessing that some weapons will have the iron type and thats how you get iron damage. Are changelings affected by carrying "iron" weapons or items the same way that a Shifter is affected by silver weapons or items?

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 am

Great questions!

Has a Knack and playtest rules: Yes, I would expect you to be able to make any 15 items this way. I'll amend this if we decide it isn't right.

Boggun Flaw: Justins' response is fairly on point. Both 'genuine need' and 'help' are open to interpretation. I personally would want you to take the disbelief hit rather than try find a loophole, but it is intentionally open to character subjectivity. Even so, I plan to amend it to "You must help someone who appears to be in genuine need *unless* they are a dire enemy." It shouldn't make you switch sides in most fights.

Animal form unobserved: I added that amendment to fulfill the canon condition; you cannot transform to an animal or back while observed. Once you transform, you can be seen as an animal all you want. (Or maybe you just put a chicken where last you were and are laughing madly while people talk to it. Who knows?) I should also clarify that Pookas need to pick a SINGLE animal that they always turn into, because the current rules don't specify that.

Presently we don't have rules for gaining disbelief/ banality from carrying iron, but you are absolutely correct, that rule should be added! It will likely be more detrimental than Silver is for Shifters, but similar.

MaxisG
Pioneer

Post by MaxisG » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:45 pm

How does Enchant Object's Impunity interact with shorter powers like Command and Turncoat given the 1 hour duration as compared to the 10 minute duration?

IE if someone who is affected by my Enchant Object is Commanded to attack me, will they be able to, or will they not be able to attack me because of the Impunity effect?
Enchant Object
Create a 3x5 card with the following: "Enchant Object, 1 hour - 1 WP to resist" - "Gain Enchanted Sight (see but not hear into umbra from realm) & Reduced Delirium (if affected by Delirium, respond as if your WP is at least 4) & Impunity toward [your name] (you may not attack unless they attack you first); 1 Willpower to resist. At the end of the effect forget everything that happened while enchanted and destroy this card. If resisted, destroy this card." At any point, you may offer the Enchanted object to another individual. If a non-Changeling accepts the object being offered, hand them the Enchantment card, they take the effects of the card unless they spend one Willpower to resist the entire effect.

MaxisG
Pioneer

Post by MaxisG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 pm

And yet again:

How exactly does Enchant Object work? Meaning:

Presumably you well...Enchant an Object...but does this mean you can for example use 5 points of Glamour to Enchant Objects and just carry them around for the rest of game? Or do you have to spend the energy to enchant the object when you give it out to someone.

If you can enchant and carry it on you, How long would said objects remain Enchanted?

Also, the wording mentions "offering" an Enchanted Object to someone else? What would happen if you were carrying said Enchanted Objects around when someone dropped you and they then "looted" the Enchanted Objects from your body?

daviomac
Prospector

Post by daviomac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Ok, so are there Stormborn changes I need to be aware of?

(on that note, I'm thinking of sunsetting the character, as he's so weird and funky, he's hard to play)

Brian
49er

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Some ST rulebook characters have been updated, but impacted players have been notified with new rulebooks already. If you haven't gotten a new rulebook, either nobody told me what you are (which isn't your case, for sure), or no changes to your character type.

daviomac
Prospector

Post by daviomac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 am

Ok, I still have the one back from January. No new one sent, so I will take that as a "nope, we're all good". Thanks!