(tabled pending mechanics update) Changeling: Protocol

Rydath
Dreamer

(tabled pending mechanics update) Changeling: Protocol

Post by Rydath » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Ritual: Protocol
Prerequisites: Rituals Level 2, Sovereign Art
Ritual Components: Paper, Pen, a symbol of Authority (such as a sword, scepter, crown, or orb)
Cost: 3 Glamour
Purpose: Enforce rules of etiquette within a venue
Expected Casting time: 2 minutes
Description:
Gather a pen and an in game sheet of paper in front of you, then spend 3 Glamour. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words ‘Protocol, by authority of <character name>’. Underneath this, write rules of etiquette to be followed by others while they remain within this room. At the bottom, write the creation time and duration of 2 hours.

Affix this sheet of paper to a prominent wall at a location which you have any self perceived claim over.

The Ritualist then brandishes one of their symbols of authority and speaks the following:
“By my noble right, I hereby enforce the laws of Protocol.”

Whenever a guest violates one of the listed rules, under the complete subjectivity of the Ritualist, the Ritualist may automatically affect the violator with the power ‘Swollen Tongue’, ‘Terror’, ‘Snarl’ or ‘Fascinate’ at no cost. This power can be resisted, but each infraction allows an additional use of one of the above powers at no cost.
Last edited by Rydath on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: (proposed 'canon') Changeling: Protocol

Post by Ginger » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:43 pm

* unbound in-game paper is always off-white, remove the preference, make clear it must be IG paper.
* Indicate at what point in the ritual the energy is spent. An interrupted ritual means the energy is lost.

Thank you for submitting changeling rituals! this is under discussion.

Rydath
Dreamer

Re: (proposed 'canon') Changeling: Protocol

Post by Rydath » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Adjusted

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: (proposed systemic) Changeling: Protocol

Post by Ginger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Ritual Components: Paper, Pen, a symbol of Authority (such as a sword, scepter, crown, or orb)
Duration: 2 hours
Description:
Gather a pen and an in-game sheet of paper in front of you, then spend 3 Glamour. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words ‘Protocol, by authority of <character name>’. Underneath this, write the rules of etiquette to be followed by others while they remain within this room. At the bottom, write the creation time and duration of 2 hours.

Affix this sheet of paper to a prominent wall of a clearly defined space, no larger than a cabin, at a location which you have any self-perceived claim over.

Brandish your symbol of authority, indicate the posted rules, and proclaim the following:
“By my noble right, I hereby enforce these laws of Protocol.”

Anyone who enters the space must be informed of the rules; if they are not informed, they cannot be targeted by the effects of this ritual.

Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules, you may target the violator with one of the following powers for no cost: Swollen Tongue, Snarl, or Fascinate. These powers may be resisted as normal, but each infraction allows an additional use of one of the listed powers at no cost.

This ritual ends if the sheet of paper is obscured, damaged (hit with a boffer or packet), or removed from the wall, if you take damage, or if you leave the space.

OOC: This ritual is intended for social situations, and not for mass combat. Please use it in thematically appropriate ways.

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:21 pm

I appreciate the work and thought being put into these adjustments. I'd like to suggest the following adjustments:
Description:
Gather a pen and an in-game sheet of paper in front of you, then spend 3 Glamour. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words ‘Protocol, by authority of <character name>’. Underneath this, write the rules of etiquette to be followed by others while they remain within this room. At the bottom, write the text ("This paper can only be destroyed or removed by it's creator, or any effect which removes a Ritual."), followed by the creation time and duration of 2 hours.

Affix this sheet of paper to a prominent wall of a clearly defined space, no larger than a cabin, at a location which you have any self-perceived claim over.

Brandish your symbol of authority, indicate the posted rules, and proclaim the following:

Anyone who enters the space must be informed of the rules; if they are not informed, they cannot be targeted by the effects of this ritual.

Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules,you may make the declaration "Protocol", then target the violator with one of the following powers for no cost: Swollen Tongue, Snarl, Command: Leave, or Fascinate. These powers may be resisted as normal, but each infraction allows an additional use of one of the listed powers at no cost. In the cases of repeated intentional breaks of Protocol by a target, the "protocol" declaration need not be repeated before each power use.

This ritual ends if the sheet of paper is obscured, damaged (hit with a boffer or packet), or removed from the wall, if you take damage, or if you leave the space.

The sheet of paper can only be removed by the creator of the ritual, or by any effect which removes a Ritual. It should remain visible at all times. While a Protocol is in effect, no additional Protocols may be added until it expires.

OOC: This ritual is intended for social situations, and not for mass combat. Please use it in thematically appropriate ways.
Choices behind the Ritual:
In canon, protocol is a basic Sovereign art (level 1) that prevents ANYONE from doing ANYTHING outside of the expected etiquette of the situation. This is fine in tabletop, because it is entirely arbitrated by the GM, but not in LARP. For Prospects, I wanted something that evokes this effect, but it needed to fit within clearly defined mechanical guidelines. Silencing someone (swollen tongue), making them kneel (snarl), making them pay attention (fascinate), or making them leave (originally 'terror', now proposing 'command: leave') are all effective ways of allowing a Noble to exert control over a scene. However, they are all also mostly soft control effects, either requiring the full attention of the user to maintain (fascinate, snarl, command), or not really physically impeding the target (swollen tongue). They are also resistible by design, meaning someone with a lot of will and an obstinate streak can simply brute force past the protocol if they really want. No one can be disabled or killed by any of these effects, but I do understand adding the statement that this ritual is not intended for use in combat.

Reason for changes from rules latest proposal:
This seems disruptive, inconsistent, and unnecessary, but I understand the desire for clarity as to where effects are coming from. Instead, I suggest the ritualist must declare 'protocol' use of a Protocol effect.

I don't want the sheet of paper to be attackable, and added some clarifying lines to that effect. The sheet of paper is there to officiate the rules, and let characters read them without the usual meta-concerns surrounding white sheets of paper (can I read this? Should I ignore it if I can't?). It is in game for ease of interaction and to make the effect overt, not to make it easier to remove.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Ginger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am

The sheet of paper can only be removed by the creator of the ritual, or by any effect which removes a Ritual. It should remain visible at all times. While a Protocol is in effect, no additional Protocols may be added until it expires.
At this time, there are no effects which remove rituals except to Shatter the visible indicator. The ritual needs to end if the caster leaves, and the ritual needs to end when the posted rules come down - even if it takes Shatter to do that.
So, on the page:
("This paper can only be destroyed or removed by it's creator, by any effect which removes a Ritual, or if Shattered.")

and on the ritual:
The sheet of paper can only be removed by the creator of the ritual, by any effect which removes a Ritual, or if Shattered. It should remain visible at all times. While a Protocol is in effect, no additional Protocols may be added until it expires. The ritual ends at the end of two hours, if the paper is removed, or if the ritualist leaves the Protocol area.

The note about no additional rules may be added is a good one - I would have assumed that, but probably better to detail it out.
The sheet of paper is there to officiate the rules, and let characters read them without the usual meta-concerns surrounding white sheets of paper (can I read this? Should I ignore it if I can't?). It is in game for ease of interaction and to make the effect overt, not to make it easier to remove.
There shouldn't be any question regarding white sheets of paper and whether they can read it, because the rules of protocol are written on in-game paper and are a component of the ritual.

Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules,you may make the declaration "Protocol", then...
If you expect someone to follow rules, you have to tell them the rules - or at the very least, that there are rules. Would better phrasing be Anyone who enters the space must be informed that Protocol is in effect. ?

Another option is, Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules,you may make the declaration "Protocol. If this is their first infraction, you instead declare "Warning - protocol is in effect". Subsequent infractions allow you to use...

Another idea is that simply doesn't work on anyone not present at casting.

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Okay. Attempting a final version.
Description:
Gather a pen and an in-game sheet of paper in front of you, then spend 3 Glamour. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words ‘Protocol, by authority of <character name>’. Underneath this, write the rules of etiquette to be followed by others while they remain within this room. At the bottom, write the text ("This paper can only be destroyed or removed by it's creator, by any effect which removes a Ritual, or if Shattered."), followed by the creation time and duration of 2 hours.

Anyone who enters the space must be informed that Protocol is in effect before you may use any subsequent Protocol effects against them. Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules, you may target them with one of the following powers for no cost: Swollen Tongue, Snarl, Command: Leave, or Fascinate. These powers may be resisted as normal, but each infraction allows an additional use of one of the listed powers at no cost.

The sheet of paper can only be removed by the creator of the ritual, by any effect which removes a Ritual, or if Shattered. It should remain visible at all times. While a Protocol is in effect, no additional Protocols may be added until it expires. The ritual ends at the end of two hours, if the paper is removed, or if the ritualist leaves the Protocol area.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Ginger » Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am

After discussing with the team, we want fire damage added to the ways to remove the paper, then I think we're good.

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Sun May 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Fire should not destroy it. The rules are listed for your convenience, not as an easy way out of following them.
Description:
Gather a pen and an in-game sheet of paper in front of you, then spend 3 Glamour. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words ‘Protocol, by authority of <character name>’. Underneath this, write the rules of etiquette to be followed by others while they remain within this room. At the bottom, write the text ("This paper can only be destroyed or removed by it's creator."), followed by the creation time and duration of 2 hours.

Anyone who enters the space must be informed that Protocol is in effect before any subsequent Protocol effects may be used against them. Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules, you may target them with one of the following powers for no cost: Swollen Tongue, Snarl, Command, or Fascinate. These powers may be resisted as normal, but each infraction allows an additional use of one of the listed powers at no cost.

The sheet of paper can only be removed or destroyed by the creator of the ritual. It should remain visible at all times. While a Protocol is in effect, no additional Protocols may be added until it expires. The ritual ends at the end of two hours, or if the paper is removed. The ritual remains in effect even if the creator leaves or is incapacitated, but naturally they cannot use powers unless they are able to do so.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: (tabled pending mechanics update) Changeling: Protocol

Post by Ginger » Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 am

This ritual is tabled and unapproved until methods to dispel rituals are available to the player base; we can revisit at that time.

Chris
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Chris » Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 pm

I am a big part of the pushback around this ritual from rules team, and would like to explain why.

This ritual is exceptionally powerful and flexible, and there is very little limitation written nor is there a way to contest the caster’s control of the space.

Rather than trying to write complicated criteria for when the ritual can be cast, and for what the rules of protocol can be, I would like to see there be a way for the ritualist’s control of the space to be contested. Hence the fire damage destroys the paper suggestion, and the desire for the effect to end if the caster leaves.

We would love to see alternatives that allow flexibility but address those concerns.

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Thu May 30, 2019 7:43 pm

I disagree about it being powerful, because the effects that the user can invoke are not powerful. All of the truly controlling effects are signalled, only usable on one target at a time, and breaking on attack to either user or recipient. Swollen tongue in the context of this ritual is an inconvenience at worst. At its most exploited, I see someone making a Protocol rule of 'no fighting', and only enforcing it against enemies who attack them or their allies. This is basically limited to a free soft control power after each attack by an enemy, which will never be what wins a combat.

I disagree about there needing to be a way to contest the control. But, if this is the thing stopping Changelings from getting a cool trick to help them reenact canon, then I will attempt another compromise. Leaving the room or being knocked unconscious are both reasonable indicators that the air of authority has been removed. Also, in the unlikely event that there is more than one Changeling with Sovereign and this ritual, there is an argument that they should be able to overwrite eachother.
Description:
Gather a pen and an in-game sheet of paper in front of you, then spend 3 Glamour. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words ‘Protocol, by authority of <character name>’. Underneath this, write the rules of etiquette to be followed by all others while they remain within this room. At the bottom, write the text ("This paper can only be removed if the creator is unconscious or not present in the room, or if the creator wills it."), followed by the creation time and duration of 2 hours.

Anyone who enters the space must be informed that Protocol is in effect before any subsequent Protocol effects may be used against them. Whenever you feel a guest has violated one of the listed rules, you may target them with one of the following powers for no cost: Swollen Tongue, Snarl, Command, or Fascinate. These powers may be resisted as normal, but each infraction allows an additional use of one of the listed powers at no cost.

The sheet of paper can only be removed by the caster of the ritual, by an effect which explicitly removes or interacts with rituals, or by anyone if the caster is unconscious or not in the room. It should remain visible at all times. The ritual ends at the end of two hours, or if the paper is removed. While a Protocol is in effect, another Changeling with this ritual may perform it in order to remove the page, or to replace it with their own.