Character vs. Player accounts

Official news and announcements from your game staff
Brian
49er

Character vs. Player accounts

Post by Brian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:18 pm

If you've played any other game I've done board admin work for you're probably familiar with the linked accounts module we've installed for our forum software. If not, I figured I'd point out that it exists and how I recommend using it. It's most certainly not required, but you may like to use it anyway.

1) I like to have my account - the one that will always be there and belongs to me, the player. Regardless of what characters I play, people can contact me directly - this is particularly important for me, being on staff :) I use my own name for this, hence the "Brian" account you see here (if your name is taken, try your first name + last initial... "BrianW", or use another name that you're comfortable with)

2) I also like to have accounts for each of my characters. It makes it easier for me to separate out the PMs and traffic per character, as well as makes my posts easier to identify when people are looking at in-game traffic *from* me.

3) I link the accounts together so my account is the master, and the character accounts are children of that account. To link accounts:
3a) Create your new alt account.
3b) Log into your main account.
3c) Go to your User Control Panel.
3d) Go to Manage Linked Accounts.
3e) Enter the required fields, and tell the system to link your accounts.

Once you've completed the steps listed, you'll see a new dropdown appear at the top of your screen that tells you that you can switch accounts. Click this dropdown and select the account you want to switch to in order to switch accounts.

We totally don't require you to set up character accounts, but for at least a few of us, it's a very comfortable way to make sure nobody's confused as to who we're posting as.

Brian
49er

Re: Character vs. Player accounts

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Bumping this - it's still valid, though we've switched to a new mod for managing links. I believe I've copied everyone's links from the old version.