Changeling: Iron Seal

Asowyr

Changeling: Iron Seal

Post by Asowyr » Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 pm

Ritual Name: Iron Seal

Purpose: To temporarily seal away the fae soul of a Changeling, for any reason. Example uses include as a remedial measure (e.g., to forcibly address Bedlam) defensive measure (e.g., we know we’re going to be attacked by cold iron users soon and need to protect ourselves), or as a punishment by temporary banishment from Kithian society.

Requirements / Prerequisites: Rituals lv. 3, Changeling. May target self or another Changeling.

Material Components: An item of sentimental importance to the target. A material to draw a ritual circle drawn on the ground (e.g., chalk, salt, flour, etc.). An item with the “cold iron” tag, preferably a blade.

Cost: 1 WP from the caster plus ALL of the target’s remaining Glamour.

Expected casting time: 5 minutes

Duration: 6 hours

RP requirements
• Lay the cold iron object on the ground, and the item of sentimental importance atop the cold iron object.
• Caster and target observe the items in this arrangement for one minute, reflecting on what is about to transpire.
• Draw a ritual circle around the objects using the chosen circle material.
• Caster chants, “By this iron before me, I seal (your/my) Glamour” for 1 minute.
• Caster expends 1 WP and target expends all Glamour currently in their energy pool
• Caster creates a 3x5 card with the text, “Iron Seal <target> <cast time> +6 hours <Glamour invested>” and attaches it to the item of sentimental importance.

Effect: Target enters the Forgetting state WITHOUT a corresponding increase in Disbelief. Additionally, target cannot gain Glamour by any means until the ritual effect expires or is dispelled (thereby preventing rejoinings of the fae soul by, for example, giving them an enchanted item or bringing them near a freehold). When the effect ends, the target regains Glamour equal to half the amount invested in the ritual (minimum 1) and ends the Forgetting state. Destruction of the sentimental item will also terminate the ritual, but this is not advised.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Re: Changeling: Iron Seal

Post by Ginger » Wed May 15, 2019 12:38 pm

- given the duration and power level, we'd like to see this require a willing target. (nothing says HOW you get them to be willing though.)
- it's really complicated to destroy a non-tagged item (the sentimental item) and we'd rather not open that door, so remove the part where the tag is attached to the item, hand the card to the target instead. remove the final sentence entirely (the part about destroying the sentimental item).

Asowyr

Post by Asowyr » Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 am

Oh, yeah, willing target was part of the original intent, hence step 2 of the ritual. I'm happy to make that explicit in the requirements rather than merely implied. I do want some way of prematurely ending the ritual, whether by accident or intent, though. Could I say that the 3x5 card itself is destructible by Shatter rather than the sentimental item? Revised version below.

=============================================

Purpose: To temporarily seal away the fae soul of a Changeling, for any reason. Example uses include as a remedial measure (e.g., to forcibly address Bedlam) defensive measure (e.g., we know we’re going to be attacked by cold iron users soon and need to protect ourselves), or as a punishment by temporary banishment from Kithian society.

Requirements / Prerequisites: Rituals lv. 3, Changeling. May target self or another Changeling. If target is another character, that character must be a willing target, and the ritual may be freely resisted at any time prior to the caster's spending of willpower.

Material Components: An item of sentimental importance to the target. A material to draw a ritual circle drawn on the ground (e.g., chalk, salt, flour, etc.). An item with the “cold iron” tag, preferably a blade.

RP requirements
• Lay the cold iron object on the ground, and the item of sentimental importance atop the cold iron object.
• Caster and target observe the items in this arrangement for one minute, reflecting on what is about to transpire.
• Caster chants, “By this iron before me, I seal (your/my) Glamour” for 1 minute.
• Caster expends 1 WP and target expends all Glamour currently in their energy pool
• Caster creates a 3x5 card with the text, “Iron Seal <target> <cast time> +6 hours <Glamour invested>” and hands the card to the target.

Effect: Target enters the Forgetting state WITHOUT a corresponding increase in Disbelief. Additionally, target cannot gain Glamour by any means until the ritual effect expires or is dispelled (thereby preventing rejoinings of the fae soul by, for example, giving them an enchanted item or bringing them near a freehold). When the effect ends, the target regains Glamour equal to half the amount invested in the ritual (round down, minimum 1) and ends the Forgetting state.

Chris
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Chris » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 am

The problem wih the effect ending if the item is shattered is that the item isn’t necessary going to be shattered where the target can see it happen.

Not soeaking for the team here, but perhaps the effect ends if the target witnesses the items destruction? Another concern is that the sentimental item isn’t necessarily a tagged item, and as such isnt vulnerable to shatter.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Ginger » Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am

You can address the "item is destroyed but target doesn't know" by making the target carry the thing, or by "if this is destroyed, notify <target> asap" on the card, or by making them witness the destruction.

Destroying a "sentimental item" is the much bigger puzzle, mechanically, because you can only shatter tagged items. A better option is to put it on the iron weapon. Because cold iron is a tag, that makes it a tagged item and thus targetable with shatter.

Asowyr

Post by Asowyr » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am

I like the idea of linking the spell to the cold iron item. That fits the theme of "sealing the fae spirit with iron." Break the binding item, undo the spell. I'll add in a notification clause in line with your suggestion. Also, I added a little more flexibility in the arrangement of the cold iron item and the sentimental item to address bulky item cases so that we don't have to put people in a situation that risks damage to OOG property to make the proper arrangement. Revision below, changes marked in bold:

=============================================

Requirements / Prerequisites: Rituals lv. 3, Changeling. May target self or another Changeling. If target is another character, that character must be a willing target, and the ritual may be freely resisted at any time prior to the caster's spending of willpower.

RP requirements
Lay the sentimental item on the ground, and the cold iron item such that it is touching the sentimental item.
• Caster creates a 3x5 card with the text, “Iron Seal: <target> <cast time> +6 hours <Glamour invested>. If this item is destroyed, notify <target> as soon as possible,” and affixes the card to the cold iron object.

Effect: Target enters the Forgetting state WITHOUT a corresponding increase in Disbelief. Additionally, target cannot gain Glamour by any means until the ritual effect expires or is dispelled (thereby preventing rejoinings of the fae soul by, for example, giving them an enchanted item or bringing them near a freehold). When the effect ends, the target regains Glamour equal to half the amount invested in the ritual (round down, minimum 1) and ends the Forgetting state. The effect may be ended early by destroying the cold iron item.