Question regarding guns

The Rules Clarifications forum is for "does this work X or Y?" posts.
markankhamen

Question regarding guns

Post by markankhamen » Mon May 06, 2019 11:39 pm

So the rulebook specifically states that foam dart guns are acceptable; however, does it say this because "only" foam is acceptable, or because it is the most common?

I ask because there is an Italian toy company that makes old west replica toys that work just like Nerf guns but use ultralight rubber rather than foam.

Link to toys in question.

https://www.parrismfgco.com/tagball-gun ... soft-guns/

markankhamen

Re: Question regarding guns

Post by markankhamen » Mon May 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Video of a kid testing the toy out. At one point he shoots himself point-blank in the hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InUUc0Tm5lY

Ralph
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Ralph » Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 am

It is difficult to say without playing with one. I think my biggest hesitation is actually the bullets look a lot smaller; which means they are more likely to get lost, and then left onsite for the dog or other critters to eat.

Do you have one of these I could look at?

markankhamen

Post by markankhamen » Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Not yet, I didn't want to spend the money for something I couldn't use. The ''bullets'' are 1/4'' diameter and 5/8'' long. About half the size of a standard nerf dart; however, they are entirely neon orange.

Ralph
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Ralph » Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 pm

I bought one. I'll let you know what I think after it gets here.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Ginger » Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

...these won't work, no.
Attachments
20190520_182740.jpg

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 am

They wont work because the bullets are unsafe? Because the gun is too realistic? Because you think the darts are likely to get lost and you don't want animals to eat them? Because an angel came down and declared them sin? Because you just don't like them?

Some of these issues have solutions and others don't. Your reasoning is important for players who might want to find workarounds or use similar props in the future.

Ginger
Rules Team Member
Rules Team Member

Post by Ginger » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

Apologies, I thought the photo spoke for itself.

The biggest concern was the size of the bullets. As you can see, they're too tiny to use.
Ralph wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 am
It is difficult to say without playing with one. I think my biggest hesitation is actually the bullets look a lot smaller; which means they are more likely to get lost, and then left onsite for the dog or other critters to eat.

Do you have one of these I could look at?

Ralph
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Ralph » Tue May 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Having now had a chance to play with this here are my concerns:

* The bullets are tiny. Total size is about the size of my pinky nail. I am very concerned about them getting lost downrange and not being collected.
* The bullets do not stay in the chambers well. They easily slide out and either jam up the system or fall to the ground, increasing the chance of uncollected bullets.
* The guns actually kind of suck - when it does work, they fire with very little force. I am not concerned about the pain involved with them - I am concerned about actually hitting someone 10 feet away. Perhaps the one I got just sucks... but it really does.

Even without that last point, the first two are enough for me to say I'd rather we not play with these.

Rydath
Dreamer

Post by Rydath » Tue May 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah, those are good reasons. It's unfortunate that such a cool looking gun just wont work. If it was a safety issue (maybe the bullets were too hard) then perhaps some clever rigging could solve it, but the combination of shoddy functionality and likelihood to have bullets get lost make it ultimately unusable.