Rose's journal: The Newspaper, or a dream of times past (May 2016 - Healing)

Jennifer
Prospector

Rose's journal: The Newspaper, or a dream of times past (May 2016 - Healing)

Post by Jennifer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm

It was recently announced that Dr. Bellthorne, the local writer in Quarry Creek, will be starting a newspaper in town! And, stranger still, it will be called the Quarry Creek Chronicle! It is such a coincidence that I can hardly believe it. 

I do not think Miss Bellthorne has any idea of my history with this subject. How could she? It seems few people now remember the last paper. I cannot blame them -- our poor paper was very short-lived, and a few years have passed since then. Many of the people who lived in town then are no longer here -- Mayor de la Cruz, Sheriff McClintock, and Auraline among them. So much has changed, even in my own life, since then.

Last night I had a dream that I was sitting and writing at my old desk. After a few moments of silence, I felt the soft brush of fingers against my shoulder. I turned around and saw him -- Percy Coronis -- standing there. He smiled, faintly, and leaned over my chair to observe what I was writing. He suggested a few corrections, the way he was wont to do, though I don't remember his words. What was my great surprise, then, when, after a few moments, I felt his arm circle around my shoulders. Without further ceremony, he pulled me towards him and kissed me full on the lips. 

I bolted upright in bed, shocked by the dream. I know my old friend would never have taken such a liberty in real life, though I would be lying if I said I'd never imagined it. So strange that this image, long buried in my subconscious, would spring to life so suddenly. I do not believe my old friend ever thought of me in that way. Much as I admired him, I had a great deal of respect for him as a professional and would never have presumed anything. It is to be understood, mind you, that this was long before I met John Oakhurst, to whom I am now engaged.   

It seems circumstances have conspired to bring forth the image of my old friend to my mind. If Miss Bellthorne could continue the work he started, this would make me very glad, indeed. I believe I will speak to her about it. I'd like to think it would provide a wonderfully fitting closure to that old, unfinished chapter of my life. 
""The Man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, & breeds reptiles of the mind." - William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell