Shadowstep

The Rules Clarifications forum is for "does this work X or Y?" posts.
Lyra
Prospector

Shadowstep

Post by Lyra » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:31 pm

Supposing I have Shadowstep, can I look through a window to confirm line-of-sight to my destination, and can I use this to get around a closed/locked door?

Also, at night, how do I arbitrate "stepping into/out of a shadow"? Can I just assume that I'm in the Earth's shadow unless an area is obviously illuminated by light, such as the middle of Town Hall?

Brian
49er

Re: Shadowstep

Post by Brian » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 am

I can’t speak to current rulings, but the original intent would be no and kind of.

You must have a direct line of travel to move between two locations with shadowstep. If there is an intervening blockage, you must travel around it. If a room is completely closed off, you may not breach the walls while traveling. The power actually clarifies this in the rule book:
While not in combat you may step into a shadow, go out of game, immediately travel to any other shadow within line of sight, then return to game. During this travel time you may not open any doors, nor retain any information you overhear or see.
If you can see a light source directly from where you are standing, light is being projected onto you. For purposes of shadowstep, you should only be exiting shadows where you cannot see a light source. Other than visible light sources, any location would be considered a shadow.

Current rules may correct me on these.

Lyra
Prospector

Re: Shadowstep

Post by Lyra » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Aha, I missed that line in the rulebook, thanks!